You don’t need to describe your character down to the finest detail; let your reader do some imagining of their own (they seem to enjoy that!) But there are a few character points that affect how they interact with their world which you can reveal through action.
- Height: Do they need to duck through doorways, or bend to speak to their friends? Do they struggle to reach the top shelf in the supermarket? The way they cope with these things reveal how they feel about their height. Do they compensate by wearing heels or by slouching?
- Weight: Do they easily slip through small spaces and crowds? Or do they avoid sitting on flimsy-looking furniture? Do they suffer backache from pulling their stomach in all day, or do they wear layers to try and look bulkier?
- Eyesight: How well can they see distances or read small print? Do they proudly wear glasses, do they go more subtle with contact lenses, or are they in complete denial?
- Smell: Do they douse themselves in perfume or do people shy away from their sweaty smell? Do they realise what they smell like, or are they oblivious?
- Walk: Does the way they walk make them stand out, or blend in with the crowd? Do they look ahead or walk looking at their feet? How big is their stride, how big are their feet, and how does this affect the way they move around their world?
These are all things that can be used to reveal character, impact plot and affect the setting.
Think about how happy your character is with their physical attributes. Do they hide them because they’ve suffered years of bullying, or are they proud of who they are and have little care for what others think?
Actors Anonymous With The Casts Of True Blood Teen Wolf And Vampire Diaries
Phew! Finally found a version of this video available outside the US.
TBH I’d be really happy if they let Tyler H get all chest hairy…there are too many smooth chests in TV-land.
Holy fuck, I would be SO happy if they let Tyler get all hairy in Teen Wolf, you don’t even know. And Joe Manganiello, too! (Although he has adorably said that, as an Italian-Armenian, he shaves because there needs to be some way to distinguish between his wolf and human forms. XD)
I am excite and I already know what happens. In the meantime, you can read the first part on AO3 here.